If this is your first time trying orthodontic treatment, it may feel like an intimidating prospect. But Invisalign is different from traditional brackets and wires. This treatment puts patient needs first, doing everything possible to keep you comfortable and in control of your straightening.
Because Invisalign is so unique, there are a few things to know before you get started. With these secrets to smoothing sailing on your side, you’ll see a straight smile in the mirror in no time. If you’re ever looking for extra help with Invisalign, our staff is here to help. Just get in touch to learn more.
How Invisalign is Different from Other Orthodontic Treatments
There are going to be a few adjustments to make to fit Invisalign into your life. But the overall process is simpler than you think. If you’re considering whether or not to take the Invisalign plunge, consider these treatment advantages:
- Invisalign fits into your schedule – We know how busy your life is, and how many daily demands and responsibilities you face. Your orthodontic treatment shouldn’t have to be shoehorned into your existing schedule – instead, it should feel natural. Because Invisalign aligners are removable, they allow you to keep living life as usual. And since multiple aligners are dispensed at each exam, you can switch to new sets at home. That means fewer trips to the office, and more time to spend on your own life.
- Invisalign feels comfortable – The clear plastic aligners fit your smile snugly. Their smooth surfaces feel at home in your mouth, and don’t scratch the insides of your cheeks or your tongue. Once you’ve got used to Invisalign, you’ll forget that the aligners are in place.
- Clear aligners blend into your smile – Once of the most-mentioned benefits of Invisalign is that the plastic aligners allow for subtle orthodontic treatment. And it’s not without reason that Invisalign providers and patients alike are bringing this up. It’s such a relief to be able to straighten your teeth without those around you immediately noticing metal on your smile. No matter the situation, whether you’re at work or socializing, you can still feel like yourself (and not like everyone is focusing on your braces).
- You don’t have to restrict your diet – You can eat whatever you like, since Invisalign aligners are removable. You’re also able to brush and floss normally, without straining to reach around brackets and over wires.
How to Be The Perfect Invisalign Patient
We know that you want to finish your orthodontic treatment quickly, no matter how comfortable it is. By trying out some of the tips below, you can ensure that your Invisalign stays on track. Because the aligners are removable, a lot of your progress is up to you. You need to be sure to wear them as instructed to see your treatment plan progress at the expected speed.
- Wear your aligners long enough each day – Invisalign needs to be worn at least 20-22 hours each day. This sounds like it shouldn’t be hard, right? But we spend more time eating than we think. It’s important to put your aligners back in as soon as you’re done with your meal. This also helps you avoid accidentally tossing them if you’re at a restaurant or otherwise out on the town. You need to get accustomed to having your aligners in, rather than out. While they will feel somewhat tight at first, this will fade as your teeth adjust.
- Switch to new aligners as instructed – We will let you know which days to progress to new aligners when each one is dispensed. You need to stay on this schedule to make sure that your straightening proceeds as planned. Waiting to switch and wearing one set for too long will set back your progress.
- Brush your teeth after eating – Each time you eat, bacteria and acids attack your teeth. If you put your aligners back in without cleaning your teeth, you risk trapping these bad guys against your teeth. This puts you at a heightened risk for tooth decay. Put together a little oral hygiene travel kit that you can carry with you throughout the day. Many Invisalign patients change their snacking schedules so that they eat more at their meals and limit the number of times they snack. This helps prevent the need for non-stop brushing.
- Don’t miss your Invisalign checkups – Your appointments are crucial to your ongoing progress. We will provide your new aligners at each appointment, and make sure everything looks good. If you miss an appointment, it may take a little time to reschedule – this can result in lost straightening time.